Thursday, April 26, 2007
story of the day
This morning I was walking to class, when I ran into Will Hall and Polly. So the three of us offer each other pathetic morning hellos, and keep walking. Then all of a sudden, Dr. Shi comes marching out of the Japanese meditation garden. First of all, why does Furman even have a Japanese meditation garden? And when is all the construction going to finally be finished? Ok, back to the story. So we are like, wow, there is Dr. Shi, just walking along the road. Will calls out to him, "Hey Dr. Shi!!" Dr. Shi responds, "Hello scholars!" I laughed on the inside, as I found it inappropriate to laugh at his greeting. So we cross the road and start walking up the path under the bridge, with Dr. Shi. He asks us where we are headed - Will was going to a history class (I think), Polly was going to a communications class, and I was headed to work. Dr. Shi asks how we all know each other, and I explain how Polly and I were on our freshman hall together, and then Will and I went to Italy together over winter term. Will then mentions how Polly's boyfriend also went to Italy with us. Dr. Shi asks Polly if they are still dating, she says yes, and he says, wow, that's great, usually study away programs end up with broken relationships. So, we awkwardly laugh, Dr. Shi says something about people hooking up over those kind of trips, I lie and say that that didn't happen on ours. Then Will turns to me and says, "How could you forget about us? Did that mean nothing to you!?" Obviously, this is a joke, but I am stunned that he is making it in front of Dr. Shi! I was like, "Oh, yeah, how could I?" Dr. Shi thinks this is hilarious, and everyone laughs. Then we all head off to our respective buildings, but Dr. Shi and I walk into the administration building, and he tells me to tell Financial Aid to give me more money. I wanted to be like, yeah, can I get that in writing? Anyways, it was definitely the most interesting walk to work ever, and now I bet that Dr. Shi would remember me, even if he never learned my name. Oh yeah, and we talked about what we are all doing this summer, how his sabbatical was and how it would have been funny if as his last official act as interim president, Dr. Kazee had cancelled school for a week. Seriously, it was super weird. And it's even better because it was me, Will Hall and Polly - random! Well, that is my story of the week. Thank God tomorrow is Friday!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment