Here I am, back at Furman and well into the swing of things. I am taking a Pentateuch class, a Communication Law class and a class on Christian Thought, which is really just Augustine theology. I have sooooo much reading this term - and I actually have to do it. Now that I get to pick what classes I really want to take and I am well into my major, I am enjoying what I am learning. It may sound boring to some of you to read theology from the 4th century and to learn the history of the Bible, but I love it for some reason. Sometimes it makes me more confused about God and Christianity and what I believe, but more times than not it helps me understand God better and get a better glimpse at what the writers of the Bible really meant, not my 21st century understanding of things. When I am able to put things in their original context, I get a whole new perspective on things, even stories like the Garden of Eden and the Flood. So despite my workload, I am looking forward to learning.
It was hard to get back in the swing of classes and stuff after it being over 2 months of none of that. I look back on Italy and realize how great it was, how much I enjoyed it and saw and learned. Yesterday in my Christian Thought class we talked about the rise of Constantine, and his establishment of the basilica of St. John in Lateran in Rome. I definitely knew the history of that church, and I was just there. I looked over at Matt, who also went on the trip, and we just beamed. Heck yes, we saw that. And the Arch of Constantine and the Palatine Hill and all this other stuff that I didn't know about before going, and now we talk about it in class. :)
I love my room and having a room to myself again. Forrest is letting me borrow an extra TV of his for this term, so I get to watch American Idol as I lie in the comforts of my own bed. It is superb. Many thanks go out to Forrest!
The weather here is beautiful, 60s and sunny. I missed South Carolina spring! It is my favorite term here, even though I hate schoolwork and the stress that comes with school and people. Spring term is beautiful, even if it is nothing else. I love opening my window and the door to our porch and just sitting in the sunshine and breeze. No more stupid green Columbia coat for me!!
Ok, the procrastination must end, I need to go get started on the immense amount of reading I have each and every night.
No comments:
Post a Comment