Friday, March 02, 2007

spring break

Well, spring break is coming to an end. I don't know if this should count as spring break because it is 22 degrees outside. That does not seem like spring weather to me. But I am headed back to Greenville on Saturday (and if you are going to be there and have a car and want to pick me up from the airport at 10:22 pm, please let me know!!) for the start of spring term. I have hope that South Carolina will be closer to spring than Colorado. This morning I took Deborah to school and soon I am going to go get a haircut. This is probably the most anticipated haircut of my life - I shall explain why. I was supposed to get it cut before I left for Italy, the first week of January. However, we got a huge snowstorm that day and I was unable to get there. So I went to Italy in need of a haircut. Then I made an appointment for this past Wednesday, and wouldn't you know it, we got another snowstorm on Wednesday in which they shut down the interstate making it impossible for me to get there. So this is the third attempt I have made to get a haircut, and it is 2 months overdue. I will do everything in my power to get there today, I don't care what the weather is!! I still haven't done my rhetoric homework from Italy - of course knowing I have until March 16 and 23 doesn't help me get motivated to do it on spring break. Spring term is typically a good term, but I am not pumped about this one. My classes will be ok, but I am just not thrilled to return to the monotony of classes, day in and day out. And the freaking Financial Aid Office. Gosh, I hate that place now. And the drama that threatens to consume my life. Ugh....

I can't wait for summer, A) because I love summer and B) because I got an exciting internship! I am going to be working at Memorial Hospital here in the Springs, interning with the hospital chaplains. I am hoping to get a really good idea of what a hospital chaplain really does, and if this seems like something that I would like to do and God is calling me to, then I will have to start making decisions about life after I graduate. If I decide that chaplaincy is something I want to do, I will have to go to seminary and eventually be ordained. Apparently it is kind of a big deal to be ordained as a woman, and because of the church I am in right now (it doesn't ordain women), I would have to switch churches, pick a denomination and be ordained in that denomination. It kind of scares me that I have to just up and pick one and decide to throw myself into it completely, and then be associated with it forever. I guess my non-denominational heritage is showing here, with my hesitance to join a denomination. But I will do my research and make a decision based on that. The chaplains told me that the best denomination for women to be ordained is PCUSA - apparently they are really good to their female ministers. I guess that's where I will start looking. All of this is still really up in the air, but after this summer I will have a clearer idea of where I am going and what I should be doing.....hopefully. Either way, I am really excited about this internship and the fact that I only have to work construction from time to time if I want extra money. Well, this is assuming I get accepted into the Furman Advantage program where Furman will pay me to work at the hospital this summer. I hope that works out, because if it doesn't I don't know how I am going to make any money this summer if I am always at the hospital, as a volunteer. So pray that all comes together!

Ok, I had better leave so I am not late for this long-awaited haircut!

No comments: